Thursday 20 July 2017

Striking gold again

In the BDS Dragonfly Week I travelled to RSPB Geltsdale in Cumbria in the hope of seeing a golden-ringed dragonfly (Cordulegaster boltonii).  It was a long hot dusty walk in from the car but as soon as I reached Howgill Beck I saw a male patrolling the stream.  He settled for only a couple of seconds, just long enough for me to take three shots.  I think he has some kind of insect in his mouth and so had been hunting.



I saw two more but neither of them settled so I didn't get a photo to match last year's pictures of the female.

On the way to Geltsdale I visited Muckle Moss.  The first time I went there I fell through the floating bog and was very lucky to get out again.  This time I was more careful and carried a stick and only one camera.  There were several male common hawkers (Aeshna juncea) patrolling and fighting but I never saw one at rest.



One of them obviously broke off from the fighting for long enough to mate as I also saw one ovipositing female.

I was pleased to get away from Muckle Moss unscathed this time.  It is a magical place but is quite a challenge. Walking across the floating unstable bog is hard work and the dragonflies seem to fly ceaselessly.  There are quite a few stunted trees around but I have never seen a dragonfly at rest there.

1 comment:

  1. Very pleased to hear you're safely out of there!

    ReplyDelete