Sunday 18 June 2017

Curlew chicks


I was driving along, minding my own business, when I spotted two curlew chicks not far from the road.  Their parents were close by but the photography was difficult as it was directly into the sun.

They didn't seem to notice as I stopped the car but carried on searching of food, gradually getting farther away.



Like most wader chicks, curlews are precocial, meaning they hatch with feathers and can walk and feed themselves almost straightaway.  These were a bit bigger than newly hatched but will still need to be able to run and hide until they can fly.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Christopher, I'm writing a feature story for Birding Wales Website: https://birdingwales.weebly.com/ and would like permission to share one of your Curlew Chick shots. Contact me at ds1701e@gmail.com to discuss. Many thanks. Dean

    ReplyDelete