Sunday 20 July 2014

Muckle Moss

And so this morning I went to Muckle Moss, a National Nature Reserve 2 km south of Housteads Fort on Hadrian's Wall, as the dragon flies.  Unfortunately just after arriving I fell in, or rather sank in up to my waist.  I managed to get out with some difficulty.  Could have been dodgy.  I saved both cameras from the water but the iPhone was in my pocket and is u/s.  I decided to stay but it was a soggy enterprise.  At least the water was warm.

Muckle Moss is a beautiful place and is dragonfly heaven.  There are several deep ponds surrounded by a unique peat bog.  There were darters, hawkers, chasers, damsels and an emperor.  Lots and lots of common blue damsels, large red damsels, emerald damsels and four-spotted chasers.  The male common hawkers were on constant patrol at the water's edge but never paused for a photo so this was the best I could manage.


The females were more helpful when ovipositing.


The male black darters were happy to pose.


This is a female black darter ovipositing.

I'll be back another time, with only one camera, a waterproof case for the phone, and a change of clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment