Friday 25 July 2014

Bullrings

Even at the height of summer the bullfinch is still a regular on the feeders, preferring sunflower hearts.

In the spring this year bullfinches were visiting up to seven at a time.  I noticed that two of them were ringed - one male and one female - and I could read part of the numbers.



Over a series of visits and multiple photos I could complete the numbers - the male was L996431 and the female L996434 (her ring is upside down, hence the inverted photo).  



I submitted the numbers to Euring who confirmed that the birds were ringed by NHSN as juveniles of unknown sex on 12th August 2012 in Gosforth Park, 2km from here.

I have also seen ringed greenfinch, chaffinch, goldfinch and blue tit well enough to read part of the numbers but haven't been able to complete them - a project for next winter, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment